Sunday, September 5, 2010

Paula Scher- Design is serious (not solemn)

I picked the video that looked most relevant, it was, by my luck, one of the longest movies there, but I persisted! and I think it was worth the viewing.

Paula Scher spoke about the difference in being serious and solemn min regards to design. It was a little hard to keep up with when she spoke about the comparisons in a quoted essay, but by the end I think I had a firm grasp on what she was trying to convey. The difference, from what I can understand, is that serious is when one is, not only dedicated, but passionate about a certain problem, i.e. gambling is serious because it can make or brake finance. On the other hand, to be solemn is to be proceeding with a job that is a necessity which doesn't need one's undivided attention. The analogy that I closest related to was "there is no other job matters", her dedication to the theater job, although she had other jobs, was her highest priority, she lived and breathed it. On Saturday, I played the preliminary final of rugby and we hadn't beaten the team yet this year. My coach said to us before the game "this the game, this is your last game. Next week doesn't matter so leave nothing on the field." That was the difference, that game we played seriously where as the others we played solemnly.

No comments:

Post a Comment